OSX Leopard 10.5.6 on the eeeBox

image In this article I will show you how to install OSX 10.5.6 on your eeeBox (B202).
This article is largely based on my previous article and contains some new findings as well as an adaptation to the eeeBox.

Important: you’ll need a Monitor with DVI input in order to make this work correctly.

If you have a VGA input you might encounter the following problem which is extremely annoying.

1) BIOS Update to fix ACPI Problems

1a) Update from XP

The simplest way to do a BIOS Update – use Asus Windows Tool and Run update from file
BIOS Update is always a risk – for me, all went fine and the long boot time was fixed!

• Get modified Bios from: osrom.net
  • Run ASUSUpdate

image

• Select “Update BIOS from File”

• Select the downloaded file
  • Follow the steps to update your BIOS

1a) Update natively

To flash the BIOS,

• Downlaod the ROM file and put it on a USB drive and insert it into your computer.
  • Reboot and on start up, HOLD DOWN alt + F2.
    This will go into EZ-FLASH
  • Select the downlaoded fiel and update your BIOS.
    Reboot, hit F2, double check that BIOS is working.

2) Partition your Harddisk

I kept a dualboot configuration with XP and OSX on my eeeBox.

In order to accomplish this you’ll have to do some light changes in your partition scheme.

I’ll recommend you do a complete backup of your harddisk before continuing!!!
You can use programs like Acronis TrueImage to do so.

• Right click on “My Computer” on your desktop and select “Manage”
  • Then click on “Disk Management”

imageimage

• Delete the second partition by right clicking on the second partition of Disk0 and selecting “Delete Partition”.

image

• Create a new unformatted primary partition

3) Installation

3.1) Preparation – Downloads

• Download iPC OSx86 (this is a 10.5.6 version, iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 should also work) from the usual sources (this is somewhat illegal even if you own a Leopard licence, as I do)
  • Burn it to a DVD

3.2) BIOS Settings

• I didn’t have to change my BIOS settings, but your mileage may vary – let me know….

3.3) Installing OSX

• Put the iPC OSX86 DVD in your external DVD drive and boot from it (Hit F8 at the black boot screen and select your DVD drive in the blue/yellow list)

If the boot hangs/crashes try to boot with the cpus=1 option.

• The boot may take a while (5-10 minutes depending on your DVD drive)

image image

• Just click through until you come to this screen

• Run “Disk Utility”

image

• Select the second partition that you have created in step 1 and format it by selecting “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)”, naming it (OSX in my case) and hit “Erase”

imageimage

• To be sure you can select the drive and select “Partition”. Press Options and you should see that the drive is partitioned as MBR

image

• If you go back now you should see something like this.
  • Select the drive and click “continue”

image

• On the “Install Summary” Screen click “Customize”

• Select the following options:
    • Drivers
    • Drivers/Video Drivers/Intel – Check the box for GMA950
    • Drivers/Chipset Drivers – Check the box for GMA950
    • Fixes
    • Fixes and Patches – Check the box for CPUS=1 One Core Fix
    • Fixes and Patches – Check the box for FireWire mount Fix

image image

• I recommend you install some useful (and needed) tools:

image

• Hit “Done” and “Install”
  • Go have a coffee or two, install takes around 25 – 40 minutes.

3.4) Post-Install

• After first boot you’ll have to answer some questions to Apple. Don’t forget to define a password, we’ll need it later!
  • Get my eeeBox post install pack here (I compiled a configuration that worked for me. I take no credit at all for this. Guys like paul over here did the lions share of the work).
  • Unzip the downloaded file (normally it unzips to the same folder)
    There is no guarantee that all the kexts in this bundle
    do work with your eee PC.
    There are simply too many different hardware revisions
    out there(even on the 1000h it seems that there are
    at least 3 differentbrands of the camera used
    - some work, some don't).

So if you install the kexts:
     - Do so by following the guide (unless you know
    what you're doing)
    as it makes it easier to spot an offending kext.
     - Install them using kextHelper (it sets the
    corrects rights and
    stuff and makes a backup of your replaced kexts).

If ever a kext has your system crashing/not
    booting/unstable do the following:

- Boot into "single user mode" by specifying -s
    at the boot prompt
    - Then type:
          /sbin/fsck -fy
          /sbin/mount -uw /
                (don't forget the / at the end!!)

- Then erase the offending kext(s) with the backup(s)
    (example of AppleIntelGMA950 kext)
          cp -R /Backup Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/
          rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

- Reboot with the -f option
  • 3.4.1) Fixing “About this Mac”
  • Install the “About this Mac” package. Just click through it

• 3.4.2) Installing kexts
  • Run “Kext Helper”

• Drag all kexts in the “kexts” folder onto the “Kext Helper” application

• Type your password, click “Easy Install” and follow the dialogs
  • Reboot
  • 3.4.4) Installing DSDT
  • Installing the DSDT gives you more security for future upgrades and for ACPI support.
  • Create DSDT File
  • Run DSDT Patcher with the following selections:

• This creates a dsdt.aml file in the DSDT application Session directory

• Install latest EFI
  • Run UniversalOSXInstaller
  • Select the correct HardDrive (!!!!)
  • Checking “Install PC_EFI v9…”

• Hit “Install”
  • Create and install the plugin
  • Open the “UOI Plugin Generator” in UniversalOSXInstaller

• Check “Add DSDT Dump” and Browse for the dsdt.aml file that you just created
  • And give the plugin an intelligent name ;-)

image

• Click “Generate Plugin”
  • Copy the plugin from the Desktop to the Applications/UInstaller/Motherboards directory

• Select the motherboard package, click “Apply DSDT patch” and hit Install

• EFI Strings
  • You might want to apply the EFI String for the Time Machine Fix as well as set the Native Boot
    Resolution to the appropriate values for you Screen.

image

• 3.4.4) Fixing the resolution (might not be needed on some models)
  • You’ll probably have a strange 800×600 resolution. Don’t worry, we’ll fix that.
  • Install “SwitchResX”

• Launch “SwitchResX” property panel

image

• Go to “Custom” and click on the plus sign “+”

image

• Create the custom resolution corresponding to your display and hit OK.

• Click “Apply”
  • Launch “OSx86 Tool” (this step might not be needed)
  • Select “Enable/Disable Quartz GL”
  • Click on “Enable Quartz GL”

• Reboot
  • 3.4.5) Install WLAN Driver if you stayed with the original Ralink card
  • Download here
  • 3.4.6) Fix sound
  • Download package here.
  • Install the AzaliaAudio package. Only the rear output is working.

That’s it…

What works:
- System running with EFI, vanilla and Quartz extreme support
- Stock Kernel : working with EFI
- GMA950 : working with QE & GL
- Ethernet
- Sound output working (only rear)
- Wlan : working
- SD Slot
- Time Machine

What does not work yet:
- Sound input (microphones) not working
- Sleep Mode

All the information in this post comes from the following sites and from hours of trial and error work from my eee PCs:

89 Comments

1. Richard Merring says:

@stuhelm Hey have you ever known anyone to run SNOW Leopard on an EEE PC? (10.5 done here: http://is.gd/cgsx8)

2. jack says:

hello respected admin

nice forum but when i install mac on my eee box i get an error says that kernel is panic and restart pc i cant solve it i try hard but never sucess pls sir if u have any idea pls send me on my id its help ful to me ….pls

3. Giulia says:

Hi everyone!
    I keep on using the eeebox and I have a new question.
    I would like to know if it is possible and how, to enable modifications on the energy saving parameter. I would like to program the waking and turning of of my eeebox as I do on my macbook, but it doesn’t let me do it, it look like modifications are disabled and I’m not allowed to enable them.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Giulia

4. Philip says:

Hi,

I have follwed the tutorial and have had the setup running nicely for some time now. However I have I wish to use wake on Lan. However I dont know how to do this, I have tried enabling in th Bios and have looked for the option in OSX which I havent been able to find.

Any ideas how to get this to work?

5. ginosih says:

ho trovato questa guida semplicissima http://www.dotexe.it/blog/?p=637

6. ginosih says:

hotrovato questa guida semplicissima http://www.dotexe.it/blog/?p=637

7. Giulia says:

Hi everyone and thanks Nik for the great tutorial, it works wonderful on my eeebox..
    I have a question, I don’t know if any of you has experienced the same problem. I use the eeebox to watch tv, with elgato sw. I have two different tv dongles, a old hauppauge hvr 900, and a elgato one.
    With both of them, I have problems watching digital tv (which unfortunately became the standard where I live). The channels are freezing up and they work, but you can see each tv program just frame to frame, as in it shows a frame, freeze for a second, show another frame. It’s not the antenna, nor the cables, since the very same equipment works fine on my mb. Any ideas? Thanks!

• admin says:

I’m afraid that the hardware of the eeebox might just not be powerful enough to get this going smoothly.
      If you had a real problem with the decoding, on the reception side you’d see pictures with different colored artifact blocks (like small blocks in the base colors – red, green, blue).

Is this the case or does the whole image just freeze?

Nik

• Giulia says:

It’s a strange behaviour and I can’t quite explain it. I can see something, I can see some programs, but for example, if I put elgato in full screen mode, I can see everything but slowly, almost like in stop motion, a frame at time. And the same goes with audio. I can actually hear it, but just one word at time, with huge stops in between. I don’t recall it behaving like this with analogical tv, but I didn’t think the difference (even in hw requirements) would be this huge..

• Giulia says:

For whoever might be interested in this. I actually fixed my problems and now eyetv works like a charm.
          The problem was the following: I updated my eeebox through the Apple Update to the 10.5.8 version of Leopard, but I forgot to reinstall my drivers and patches (you know, audio, video, wi-fi, and all that stuff). The audio and wi-fi, I fixed immediately, but since I could see everything perfectly fine I didn’t realise the video wasn’t working, too..
          I used the drivers posted in the guide suggested by ginosih.
          Thanks, everyone.

8. Nicandros Nic says:

I tried installing several times and i alwaus get an eror about “920SpeedStepKernel”

• Daniel Fontes says:

Here is how i’ve done it…

1) flashed the bios with my modded one
      2) booted from iPC 10.5.6 DVD and installed leo only with ICHx drivers, UUID fix and FireWire mount fix
      3) after a restart i updated to 10.5.8
      4) modded the graphic drivers to get my GMA950 working
      4) installed voodoohda 0.2.2 beta for full audio
      5) and openhaltrestart.kext for working shutdown and restart

• Nicandros Nic says:

well it worked :) just install new bios from daniel fontes or disable speedstep from the bios

• Nicandros Nic says:

oups :P bios from you then :) haha

9. Daniel Fontes says:

I’ve modded the newest Bios 1114 to use it with OS X:

10. Cristian says:

Les dejo tambien exactamente lo que mi panel dice:

Display:

Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Not Supported
    QuartzGL: Supported

Gracias por la ayuda!

11. Cristian says:

Hola a Todos!

Antes que nada excelente el tutorial, me ha funcionado de maravilla!

Lo que no e logrado hacer funcionar correctamente en mi asus b202 es el video:

GMA950 : Not working with QE

El Gl si esta activo, pero el video se me queda pobre sin esta opcion, he probado ya varios Kext, y ninguno me ha dado resultados.

Uno me dejo de arrancar el equipo freezandose en la manzana.

y el que esta colgado en esta web arranca pero me desaparecen todos los menus, cuadro de loguin, dock, etc, solo veo el fondo de escritorio y cursor.

podrian darme una mano con esto? Se los agradeceria muchismo.

Un gran saludo!

12. philip says:

Hi, Thank you for a great guide! Will you be making a similar one for Snow Leopard? I have managed to get Snow Leopard running but only in 800×600, SwitchResX doesnt seem to work under Snow Leopard unfortunately.

Thanks.

13. HrrKrch says:

@nightout JAWOLL, das klappt! Mach mal! :-) eeeBox@OSX: http://bit.ly/e3Dfd

14. Sam says:

Hey please release a guide that works for a B202 + iDeneb 10.5.7 because I tried it myself and it just didn’t seem to work after install, it hung at loading screen. The thing moved but that’s it. No idea why since the iDeneb disk seemed to have all the drivers I needed :\

• yan says:

I have the same problem.
      I follow successfuly the tuto until the point 3.3, but when i reboot my eeebox b202, it hung at the gray screen.

Anyone can help me?

15. max says:

have you got any news about 10.5.7 update?
    thanks
    Max

16. max says:

Hi,
    Does anyone enable the front mic line?
    I’ve read this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=92208&view=findpost&p=1080375
    but I don’t have dual boot whit ubuntu, maby someone could try it.

17. xerxesb says:

SHARED: eNik » OSX Leopard 10.5.6 on the eeeBox: Home of Niklaus Hirt http://bit.ly/UiFI5

18. Matthias says:

Hi Nik,

I´m trying to install Mac OS X in my new eee Box B202 (I have all up an running on my 100h), but the installations stops after I have the grey screen with the apple logo in the middle – no more activities, also when the B202 runs for another 30min. I´ve updated the Bios, and I´ve tried the original OS X as described by Gregory Cohen.

Regards Matthias

19. Errevi says:

Great Tutorial! It worked perfectly on my EeeBox 202, many thanks

20. Giulia says:

Hi!
    I tried following your procedure to my Eee box, however, it did not work. I flashed the bios and it seems to work, i connect my external dvd, i press f8 and select it from the yellow/blue list. But still, my Ubuntu will load instead of the dvd.
    What did I get wrong? I have Ubuntu 9.04 on my machine, just it, without windows. I don’t have the splashtop anymore, since I erased it while installing Ubuntu..
    I’m pretty stuck here, I don’t get why it behaves like this..
    Please, help me.
    Giulia

• admin says:

Sometimes you have to hit a key to actually launch the install (otherwise it will boot the default OS).
      Or the installer might crash, in which case you should try with the cpus=1 option at startup.

• Giulia says:

I finally succeeded in installing it on my eeebox. It runs great, thanks.
        I was wondering.. Would the update to 10.5.7 cause any problems if installed? Is there a procedure to correctly install it or should I just let the automatic update run?
        Thanks for all your help,
        Giulia

21. christian says:

Had some problem withBonjour: iTunes did not find the shared music lib, the local printer was not accesseble via Bonjour.

This link helps: http://nedos.net/2009/02/09/hackintosh-bonjour-woes-avahi-daemon/

Just install the network driver an bonjour works!

• SpocksBeard says:

Had the same problem with bonjour (see below). Fixed it no easily by just checking the Realtek R1000 driver when setting up fixes and patches at the beginning

22. Christian says:

Hello,

very good tutorial! I did all steps as you described on my EEEBox B202, but got this error during sound card installation:

15.05.09 19:59:37 kernel Sound assertion “0 == layoutIDOSData” failed in “/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp” at line 323 goto Exit

Do you have any ideas?

Christian

23. Sam says:

I’ve just begun wondering what’s so great about OS X, I mean hell the thing uses resource forks so if I copy mp3′s over to a dvd for backup all the damn forks go with it for no reason, lolz It’s just so funny, and they need things like BookDog + BlueHarvest just to keep up with normal functions of XP or even linux. Pretty weird man

24. macbooky says:

You absolute hero! I bought an 22,00 dvd-rewriter an installed it in under an hour! up and running, i’m truly greatfull!

25. SpocksBeard says:

Another thing regarding the sound output – I have no light (spdif) using the adapter – should it work or only stereo?

• admin says:

I would be greatly surprised to see the optical SPDIF working…
      So this seems normal. We’re happy to get any sound out of this thing…
      But if you find a way to get SPDIF working let us know.

Nik

26. SpocksBeard says:

Hi all,

I have trouble with the enthernet driver. I ran crazy when trying to connect to a shared ITunes Lib or connecting the Touch to my EeeBox or trying to connect from my MacBook to the EeeBox…. After playing around I found that it all works using the RaLink and wireless!
    Does anybody else has these problems or better a working ethernet driver ;-) ?

Thanks.

27. Buddy says:

Brilliant post man! Got everyting up and running on my eeebox in a couple of hours!

Now off for some iphone development :)

Thanks!

• admin says:

Good luck with the iPhone dev, Object-C is a bit of a pain if you’re used to Java…

28. Snake says:

hi
    is it possible to install os x on the new eeebox b206?it has a hd3450 display so i wonder is there any suitable packages or drivers for eeebox,thank you

• Methanoid says:

@Snake – I doubt it very much. If you look on InsanelyMac.com you’ll see many unhappy users saying there are no Mobility 3450 drivers and this is the same card. I hope I am wrong!

29. Chris says:

Hi

I’ve installed everything properly on 2 eeebox today and yesterday
    however I have an issue… I am not able to display resolutions higher than 1024×768
    even when hooking a 22″ dvi display.
    I’ve tried the switchresx utility, created a new resolution scheme and chosen it but it is not taken in consideration after reboot.

I would like to know if there is a way to list the possible graphic modes in the standard
    apple monitor prefs instead of using switchresx third part software and to make the screen resolutions change on the fly.

I’ve heard of a Diabolik GMA950 patch which cannot be located on the web…

I’ve try enabling the quartzgl but the problem is the same even after reboot…

I’ve installed all that with iPCosx86….

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

30. PeterB says:

Great story eNik! Thanks. Just one question: how did you do your screen dumps for the installation screens? I’m trying to do it using VMWare but it won’t  for the retail install.
    Thanks.

• admin says:

First, I don’t think that you can even correctly boot the install disk in VMWare (at least I never managed to do it…)

The fuzzy picture have been taken with my iPhone, the nice screenshots are a bit more difficult.
      I already had a iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 installed on the eeeBox, in which case you can launch the installer of iPC directly from the disk/iso and install to another partition (which you can’t do with the original install DVD).
      So I took the screenshots in my running (iDeneb 1.3) OSX environment.

Nik

• ssledge says:

O yes you can! I’ve been running it for 2 months. Using it to CCC hard drives for a old G4 unsupported Leopard Install. Its my
        go to osx when I’m trying to troubleshoot or clone images. Works
        pretty great too!

Its not VMware’s fault. I tried to duplicate the installation on a variety of other PC’s besides my Main Home Machine.. No go! Its picky as hell what it will run on! But the CD will boot and install when you create a virgin vmware drive and have the disk in when you start er up!

Ironically the ipc CD will boot and install from my other Tower, my former dual core system running a Asus A8N SLI MB.
        But after install and reboot it KP’s. Now that I think about it I dont think I ever clicked custom and checked the box for ipc AMD SSE stuff? hmm Maybe I’ll try that one again… I dont even think I did that on the successfull VMware install thats up and running…………………….

Ultra Aluminus Black Tower
        Ultra X4 600W Modular Lifetime PWS
        ASUS P5K SE/EPU Motherboard
        4G Kingston HyperX RAM
        3G Intel Quad Core Xtreme CPU
        2 1T WD Black HDD (has dual processors & 64M cache onboard)
        (1 w/ Windows XPro , 1 w/ Linux Ubuntu 11.10)
        1G NVidia GTS 250 ASUS DARK KNIGHT Video
        etc etc etc

Running Oricle VMware on WXP

Installed and running ipc osx86 from iso on the first try!

• ssledge says:

I didn’t metion that ipc boots on the other tower from power up post! not just from within vmware.
          Dunno if that is any news or not. I havnt tried
          that on the machine that is successfully running it
          thur vmware. just didn’t need it too it works well
          enough as a tool within vmware for my purposes..

O and all this sprung from my attempt and finally succeeding to install Leopard 10.5.8 on a G4 Yikes PCI MAC. hahaah using a PC to do the work on.

albiet The Yikes has been heavily upgraded…

Sonnet Encore 1G ZIF CPU Upg.
          NVidia FX5200 256M PCI Supporting QE & CI
          1G RAM
          Sonnet Tempo TSATA PCI Card & 250G SATA HDD
          Koutech IO-PU526 5port USB 2.0 w/3ext & 2 int
          Sabrent PCI-802N Wifi Dual Ant (Ralink drivers)
          front 3.5″ Flash bay w/front USB fits beautifually
          behind Zip/Floppy slot. Looks like it was make that way. USB Bluetooth so can go wireless iphone sync.

RUNS PRETTY DAMN SMOOTH. Great for Garageband & APOGEE JAM.

Not bad for the oldest G4 Made. Now can do itunes 10 & up used with Iphone on a Yikes.

• PeterB says:

Hi eNik
      Thanks for the reply! I’m about to buy a Dell Mini 9 for OS X so I’ll be able to do the same thing. No, you’re right – I can install in VMWare but it will not start up. But it is possible to do it – check out PCWiz’s site: http://pcwizcomputer.com/index.php?Itemid=48&id=76&option=com_content&task=view
      Cheers
      Pete

31. nolihc says:

got a little further, i now get the grey screen when logging in. Is this because i didn’t install the bios? How important is a modified bios?

Hi,

What gray screen? Does that mean that you get the login screen displayed correctly?
      As for the BIOS upgrade:
      there are two possibilities:
      Upgrade the BIOS or create a DSDT file for your specific EEE.
      What they do is that they improve/correct some stuff in the way the EEE handles the OS that runs on it (to be very simplistic).

If you can wait out the extremely long (>30-60min sometimes)  first boot into OSX you might create a DSDT file for your EEE and circumvent any BIOS flashing. See here : http://ipis-osx.wikidot.com/forum/t-122655/guide-how-to-apply-dsdt-hacks-on-1000h-with-ideneb-v1-3

If you don’t understand what they are talking about (and thus are unable to do it yourself) then you absolutely need the modified BIOS otherwise there might happen some strange things when running your OSX.

Keep us posted on how it goes,

Nik

32. nolihc says:

i also have the boot0 error, reverting from ubuntu….

33. Meth says:

Install the AzaliaAudio package. Only the rear output is working.
    What package? Where from? It’s not linked

BTW, thanks for the help on the Boot0 thing. My boot hung afterwards so I bit the bullet and wiped HD and allowed the OSX DVD to partition the drive from scratch with space for a later XP install. Works fine (just OSX right now). Just need that audio fixed (and the Sleep of course!!!)

Have you tried Voodoo kernel as that often fixes sleep issues?

• admin says:

Yeah, never got the other out/inputs working… And I doubt that anyone is working on it.
      Have you tried the different drivers that come with the iDeneb/iPC distributions?
      I use the AzaliaAudio package from here : http://www.mediafire.com/?enez1guzz1g
      I’ll link it in a second in the article…

Nik

34. Meth says:

Good guide but some issues:

The pictures don’t tally with the iPC 10.5.6 release. There are different options.. are you using an older release? Post install pack has about 3 kexts to install but the picture shows a screenful?

Why don’t PC_EFI and ALC888 get installed by iPC install?

I actually followed guide and got the machine rebooting after installing the Post Install pack and then it barfed with Boot0 error. Ideas?

Hi,

1) I did use the iPC_OSx86_Public_Beta.iso (the final one wasn’t out yet).
      You should be able to find the same options in your (probably final version) as the guys at pcwizcomputer.com merely added new stuff to the distrib.

2) There are only 3 kexts to install, I was just too lazy to make a new screenshot, so I kept the one from the 1000h install (didn’t think that anyone would actually notice that detail ;-)

3) Feel free to install the ones included on the DVD. I used the seperate ones that I KNOW to work (especially for the Chameleon bootloader for the DSDTs).

4) As for the boot0 error: Do you have a dual-boot and/or multiple partitions ?
      In this case it could be that the wrong partition is set “Active”. You might use the OSX boot DVD to boot into single user mode (-s at the boot prompt after hitting F8) and then typing:

• fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
      • f 2
      • write
      • y
      • exit

This can be found here (http://ipis-osx.wikidot.com/forum/t-116781/dual-boot-asus-xp-and-os-x-retail-install)  for example.

Good luck,

Nik

35. siam says:

Hi eNik , just found your web site and its great , Ive just bought a ASUS N10J and i would really like to make it dual boot with the pre installed windows xp , and OSX Leopard, Ive just retired and never really used a computer before,
    but now have pleanty of time to learn, do you think its possible to install OSX leopard on my ASUS N10J , could you please let me know what you think. Thanks William

36. Heiko says:

Thanks, for writing this little guide.

My GPU was detected after Installing your supplied kexts. Due to this I was able to skip a few sections of your guide. (I also skipped DSTD for now.)

You saved my weekend after some unsuccessfull vanilla boot 132 tries :)

37. Carmelo says:

hi !

Why do you install DSDT and EFI ? I didn’t, and all seems to work good ..

A quoi sert l’installation de DSDT et EFI ?

(je ne l’ai pas fait et tout semble fonctionner normalement …)

@Admin I have sent you a mail … can you please contact me (mail or msn : carmelo @ carmelo.fr) ?

thanks ;)

38. Anthony Araujo says:

I bought a Asus eee box in hopes I can turn it into a Hackintosh system.

39. Kostas Dinas says:

Dear eNik,

would you, please, inform me how could I install Mac OS X 10.5.6 on
    eee pc 1000h ?

Thanks a lot!

Kostas

40. Rafael says:

On another forum http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/howto-install-os-x-the-right-way-type11-boot132-v7-1-t1106.html
    they have managed to use this for the sleep problem. Can somebody test this?

***For sleep to work you must deselect usb wake from sleep and usb legacy mode in bios***

41. Carmelo says:

Hi,

I have just ordered eeebox …

but my monitor has only VGA port …

Will it work ?
    Thanks !

• admin says:

You’ll probably end up with the strange dual-display problem (I did have it with the first monitor I tried).
      But as always with Hackintoshes: You never know until you try…

Nik

• Carmelo says:

hey :)

installation finished.

all is working :)

I’m witch VGA cable : no problem :)

I have written a french tuto for french peopla ;) –> carmelo.fr

thanks for your work ;)

Carmelo

• admin says:

Glad that it did work with your VGA monitor (mine was probably too old).

C’est nickel que ça marche avec ton écran, je pense que le mien était simplement un peu vieux.
          Très bonne idée avec la traduction.
          Si tu veux reprendre mon article pour le traduire, pas de problème.
          Et tu peux directement “linker” les images sur mon site si tu veux (ça t’évite de refaire tous les screenshots).

Cheers,

Nik

• Rafael says:

Hi Carmelo,

Is the sleep functionality also working? I mean can you put your eeebox in Standby in MACOSX?

42. Rafael says:

Hi all,

Incredible good tutorial. You are saying the sleep functionality doesn’t work, do you think there will be a patch in the future to solve this. To what is it related?

Regards,
    Rafael

Hi,

Frankly I don’t know.
      There are not that many resources for the eeeBox out there and I didn’t have time to digg into the problem.

If I get it working I’ll post an update to this article.
      So make sure you subscribe to this thread below to be alerted by mail.

Cheers,

Nik

• Rafael says:

Ok I will certainly subscribe to this forum as if that would be fixed everything is working correctly:)

43. Kostas Dinas says:

Dear eNick,

congratulations and thanks for your work on eee_pc. It’s very useful.
    I’m an old mac user and I got recently a eee_pc 1000h to have a pc and a mac together in a very portable size and weihgt. But I have some problems.

I’m not a good pc user. I’d like to ask you sth.
    I have some problems with mac in presentation in playing slideshows. The mac freezes and I can’t show anything.

What dou you suggest? To reinstall 10.5.5 or try installing 10.5.6 ?

Kostas Dinas

This is strange…
      Try to open the “Activity Monitor” to see what is eating up your CPU cycles.
      But keep in mind that this is largely underpowered hardware to do the fancy Mac stuff (even if it works quite well for the standard Web surfing/text editing, don’t expect miracles with iMovie or Garage Band ;-)

Nik

44. Sam says:

Well….. I got what I asked for, but what I’d really like to know is whether it’s faster than XP was, will it use more memory? Is the performance worth it. I did try Eeebuntu but accidently used the version without compiz so gave up (I only cared because compiz was on it). I was going to try Mandrivia (someone got it working easily) but chose to stick with a slipstreamed XP Pro version using RyanVM’s Integrator. Hacked the uxtheme.dll, added some cool theme packs, and bam at install it’s pimped. So is OS X worth the price if I have an 80gb hd and 1gb of ram????????????

• Nephilim says:

It comes down to how much overhead the OS eats up, more than anything else. XP would likely be a little faster than OSX due to the absence of bells and whistles (especially if you tweak your XP install) though the point of an EeeMac is to get the cheapest Mac you can, for those who like Macs, neh? Another speed factor might be the fact that the drivers available for OSX on Eee are a bit hacky while in XP they were written by the manufacturer to support that OS, but I can’t really substantiate that with numbers.

Thanks to Nik’s guide I’m quad-booting XP, OSX, Linux, and Amiga. (Yes, Amiga. You haven’t retrogamed until you’ve played the Amiga version.) I’m a CS major and I love the hell out of my little 1000H, does everything I need. Next I’m gonna see if the iPhone SDK will run on this thing…

• Methanoid says:

Nephilim,

Booting Amiga OS? Do you mean WinUAE or EUAE or do you actually mean Amithlon? Please get in touch at my Gmail address as I’d love to know which….

Methanoid

• Nephilim says:

I use an HD install of Amiga Forever, actually. Technically I’m “booting” Linux but it loads Amiga’s GUI ASAP. Took some tweaking to get sound and networking running properly.

• Nephilim says:

Figured I’d make it all legal since I never actually owned an Amiga… Anyway, the base is a stripped Slackware install, I snagged the pertinent files from the Forever disc, compiled UAE, and set it up to basically boot straight to UAE with no intermediate input on the user’s part.

45. nhirt says:

eNik – OSX Leopard 10.5.6 on the eeeBox http://tinyurl.com/araexr

46. Rafael says:

Hi Nik,

The sleep functionality is needed to make it a fully working Hackintosh. I would then be able to use the wake up program Aurora to use the EEEBOX to wake me up at a certain time using Eyetv:)

47. jsp says:

Heyo, thanks for great install article, trying to get eyetv with less audio latency on eeebox osx86 10.5.6 also experimenting with BlueTooth dongle and Sony BD remote.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Ruhe in Frieden « home is where the heart is - [...] wurde der kleine Bruder B202, den es auch bei uns schon gäbe, bereits erfolgreich in einen Hacktintosh verwandelt. *g*) …
  2. eNik » Blog Archive » eeeMac with the eeeBox - [...] fully functional Hackintosh- see previous post for installation [...]